It’s budget time in Congress but instead of focusing on ways to fund a government that serves and protects the American people, ideologues in Congress are working to sneak through policies that would further weaken our democracy.
We have to stop them. Will you make a call today?
Multiple ideological riders have been secretly added into the must-pass federal spending bills that threaten to tip the balance of our democracy in favor of wealthy special interests even further.
These poison pill riders include:
- Blocking enforcement of the Johnson Amendment, which would allow tax- deductible dark money to flow through churches and charities into our politics, essentially unleashing Citizens United 2.0.
- Relaxing campaign finance coordination limits, which would allow candidates to spend significantly more.
- Stopping the Securities and Exchange Commission from requiring companies to disclose their political spending.
- Stopping the IRS from creating clear definitions for nonprofit engagement in politics.
- Prohibiting federal contractors from being required to disclose their political spending.
Today, Americans from across the country are calling Congress to say that we need a clean budget with none of these poison pill riders.
Will you join them and make a call today?
We don’t need more loopholes that make it easier for special interests to disrupt our democracy. Urge Congress to do the right thing.
Thanks for raising your voice,