Para leer este PTA Connects en español, haga clic aqui.
Knowing that a healthy child can achieve and learn more, California State PTA supports children’s health by promoting healthy lifestyles and putting health and support services within reach of all parents.
You can participate in Healthy Lifestyles Month by conducting PTA programs and events that promote health education, physical activity and parent involvement. Encourage families to increase their physical activity, eat fresh fruits and vegetables, develop community-oriented physical activity programs, and promote healthy lifelong behaviors.
For more PTA health information, click here.
Deadlines and important dates for your PTA are fast approaching
November 15 – Scholarships and grants deadline for submission. Learn more about scholarships and grants.
November 15 – State and federal tax filings deadline. Learn more.
December 20 – Insurance premium due to state office through channels.
December 31 – Deadline to file a Charitable Trust Number with the Attorney General's Office. Learn more.
Celebrate public education this November
American Education Week, November 11-16, presents all Americans with a wonderful opportunity to celebrate public education and honor individuals who are making a difference in ensuring that every child receives a quality education. This year's theme is "Great Public Schools: A Basic Right and Our responsibility."
The week-long celebration features a special observance each day of the week. Learn more.
Use the online toolkit for activity ideas, templates and downloadable materials.
Honor a teacher who makes a difference for PTA
Do you know teachers whose dedication and support for PTA makes them special? Tell us how they make a difference and we'll highlight the stories in our publications and on our website. Also, we'll send each honored teacher a certificate as a California State PTA Teacher – Making a Difference. Click here to nominate a teacher for this recognition.
Each month, one teachers name will be drawn for a free registration to next year's California State PTA Convention in San Jose, May 2-5, 2013, and that teacher will receive a free software gift basket from our sponsor, JourneyEd and their featured partner, Total Training.
The featured teacher for September is Vicki Hashimoto, nominated by the Rancho Cordova Elementary PTA in Rancho Cordova, Third District PTA. View the current winners and honorees.
Harvest more members!
Your PTA has sent out the first notices about your membership campaign, and membership envelopes have been flooding into your school office. What can you do NOW to keep up the momentum?
- Make membership a real value. Not only will PTA membership help your child's school, it will also help out your wallet! Check out the savings available to our members. Download a printable Member Perks flier.
- Ask again! Marketing PTA means more than just a flier sent home with a membership envelope attached. It means extending personal invitations, promoting what your PTA gives and does for your school and for the families in your community. For ideas on marketing your PTA, click here.
- Invite the students. You don't have to have a PTSA to invite students to join your PTA. Click here for suggested strategies.
- Teachers Matter, too. Are 100% of your teachers PTA members? Invite all teachers and staff members to join PTA. There is a reward in teacher involvement in PTA. Find out how your PTA could qualify for the Teachers Matter…Members Matter award.
Get patched into your community
Are you patched into your community yet? Patch is a community engagement website where people who are passionate about their neighborhood can connect. It's also a great place to share local PTA news, events and photos.
You can be a Patch blogger for your PTA!
Follow these simple steps to get started:
- Find your local Patch here.
- Click the button on the upper right hand corner of the page and JOIN.
- Create an account. Don't forget to upload a photo.
- Let the Patch Community Relations Liaison Eve Pearlman know you've created a PTA account so she can add you to the master list of PTA contributors. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org and she is always available to answer your questions.
- Any time you post, please TAG it to "PTA."
For a list of five things you can do on Patch to make sure your school and its students get all the coverage, click here.
Remember to vote on November 6
You can find information about PTA positions on ballot measures here.
SAVE THE DATE
California State PTA Convention in San Jose, May 2-5, 2013
Connect with us
California State PTA "Connects" is sent monthly to unit officers for your use throughout the year. Please feel free to send us ideas and comments to help us be of the most use to you – email@example.com.
We love getting and reading your newsletters! Please send them by e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or by regular mail:
Vice President, Communications
California State PTA
2327 L Street
Sacramento, CA 95816
|California State PTA "Connects" is sent monthly to all unit, council and district PTA presidents to share with their board members throughout the year.